Front Row Seat in Amsterdam (Sep'14)

I was in Amsterdam after almost 12 years and I did the usual rounds – a bit of culture at the Rijksmuseum Museum, a bit of Coffee Shopping (wink wink !!!), some Red Light Districting (I did a walking tour. That’s all), and a bit of catching up with friends.

However, my mind went back to the evening in 2002 during my first visit to the city - the I-Amsterdam sign had not yet been put up and the Rijksmuseum had yet to get its million dollar refurbishment. I did fall in love with a blonde who bicycled past me. As all visitors to Amsterdam do at some point or the other.

That evening, one of my first as a solo traveller, I was pretty happy. The previous day I met this lovely Ecuadorian girl and we hung out, as I enjoyed the smoke in coffee shops and the company of an exotic woman. But this evening, alone and emboldened, I decide to walk around in the Red Light District (I use capital letters, for a reason) and found myself walking into one of those sex shows.

Not knowing what to expect, I was pleased when I was ushered into an empty seat in the first row (otherwise the auditorium was full). On the stage was a couple who were mechanically doing what couples all over the world do (usually in the privacy of their bedroom). They would ‘perform’ their act for about 5-7 minutes and then after a 2-3 minute break the next couple would come (no pun intended) onto stage. In these breaks, there were some funny acts which involved audience participation and volunteering from the audience.

Well aware of the perils of the being the front row – be it in a classroom or in a sex show in Amsterdam – I started getting nervous lest I be called up on stage and have my leg pulled.

I will leave the rest to your imagination.