Raindrops keep falling on my side... (Sept'12)

I was thoroughly enjoying the charms of tiny, and logistically manageable, Malta. Every day in the morning, after a lovely breakfast overlooking the bay, I would choose that cardinal direction in Malta where I’d not been. The all-you-can-ride bus pass was a heaven sent for an Indian traveller who always needs to convert Euros in Rupees prior to any purchase. So that morning, I decided on a bit of island hopping (remember there are only 3 islands in what comprises Malta, so there was not much hopping to be done!). From Valetta I took the bus to Cirkewwa, an hour-and-a-half ride away from Valletta. It is from Cirkewwa that one gets the ferry to Comino and then onwards to Gozo. On the way, at St. Paul's bay, I spotted an Indian restaurant ('Star of India'). I quickly wrote a post-it to myself.

Comino is nothing but a clump of rock and is virtually uninhabited save for a hotel - but it was bustling with sun-worshippers the day I was there (it was a Sunday). The place to be on the island is the Blue Lagoon - a ridiculously blue alcove which is crammed with beach-bums of all shapes and sizes. I wasn’t carrying a mat so there was not much lounging around I could do – but I did have my trunks, and a book. So I spent a totally unproductive, yet relaxing, couple of hours on the rocks and in the water.

Gozo is, in comparison, a pretty large Island and has quite a lot to see. Gozo is dotted with wee towns and each of these has a large church that is visible from miles. So no matter where you are on Gozo you can see a fair sprinkling of these churches. The main town on Gozo is Victoria, which didn't seem to be interesting so I gave it a miss.

My favourite town was Xlendi which had a lovely narrow bay - with pretty houses all around. Everyone from Xlendi seemed to be on the bay that day as there was some sort of festival-event going on. A rope was tied across the bay and youngsters hanging from this rope would make their way to the centre of the bay before jumping in the water below (a good 20-30 metres) to applause from all those, including me, who had gathered.

The other to-see sight on Gozo is Dwejra bay which has one of the most stunning geological structures I've seen (like a big doughnut, it was called the 'azure window'). What was amazing was that a group of young lads were jumping from the top of this structure into the shallow, and rather choppy, waters below (the jump would have been atleast 100 metres. Perhaps more!). One could see them struggling with their courage just before they made the jumps (some of them had to pump themselves up for a few minutes before they could, literally, take the plunge). Even if I knew swimming I don't think I would ever be able to make that jump!

The disappointment for me on Gozo was that the Ggantija temples were closed that day. These are neolithic temples which are supposedly over 5,800 years old and are believed to be some of the oldest standing stone structures in the world. Well, my travelosophy is that, one must always leave something unvisited as an incentive to re-visit. As they say, Insha Allah

After the ferry back to Cirkewwa and the bus ride back to Valletta, I went and plonked myself in a small restaurant. Picture the Maltese equivalent of the 'Indian Coffee home' - interiors in shambles, slow service, and locals hanging on for hours over a coffee or a beer. Even I (with my advancing age) pulled down the average age of the patrons here by atleast 20 years. This building apparently used to house the local philharmonic society. As if on cue, to help me immortalise the moment in my travel memory, it started raining quite heavily (I was indoors remember!) and the sound of the rain drops on the plexi-glass type roof was quite soothing as it reminded me that I was protected from the elements. Not for long - as the roof started leaking and the patrons, without batting an eyelid, opened their umbrellas! As the well-worn saying goes, "When in Rome..."

I still giggle to myself whenever I picture that image.